September 5, 2008

Mo this one is for you- B.U.S= BUS

I could get use to this blogging thing.... but now I have yet another excuse to procrastinate on the work I should be doing.

So Mo made a comment that she wanted to hear more stories. Since I mentioned my dad in the last blog I randomly thought of a story that shows the true colors of both my mom and dad. This story may not be funny in writing, but it was really funny living it! I am sure you have already heard this one and Sara, Laurie and JW will never forget this one. Well JW might since she doesn't talk to any of us anymore but that is another story. tee heeee.

For most college swimmers, the Christmas and New Years holiday is one of the most intense periods of training during the year. We would get a week or 2 break at home compared to the 4 week break that most college students would get. In order to keep us sane, our coaches would take us somewhere fun to train even though most of our time was spent in the pool or sleeping. So my sophomore year of college our swim team was going to fly to lovely Hawaii to train at the naval base. The weather decided to act up and Arkansas had a massive ice storm that shut down the airport for days and backed up travel for everyone. We were all stuck in various locations around the world trying to get back to Arkansas to catch our flight out of Arkansas to Hawaii. Some people ended up catching random rides or waiting out the storm for a few days.

I made it out of Austin but got stuck in Dallas with no end in site. My flights kept getting canceled and we had no idea what I was going to do. I went to some random counter and heard that there was now a bus that would take passengers from Dallas to Arkansas. I called my dad to tell him this and he preceded to lecture me about being careful and to find out where my luggage was because there was not currently a plane to hold it. He said "Corey don't be lackadaisical. Your luggage is probably sitting in the middle of the airport." I was in no mood to put up with my dad being over paranoid so I did everything I could to get him off the phone and I laughed it off. Secretly I was now worried about my luggage. So I worked out the details, figured out that I was indeed going to take a 5 hour bus ride with random people to Arkansas, and decided to walk around for a bit. I was walking around and low and behold my luggage was sitting in the middle of the airport. But I did not tell my dad this until like a year later :)

So eventually I run into Leslie and Laurie in the airport and we all get on the bus to head to Arkansas. What was supposed to be a 5 hour bus ride ended up being 8-9 hours long. I finally made it back to the apartment in Arkansas where I find my roommates laughing. They had arrived earlier and were listening to a message that my mom had left on the phone. My mom wanted to inform my roommates that I was having trouble getting back to Arkansas and that I could no longer take a flight, but was going to (read this next line with a loud southern accent, spelling the word out when you see periods between the letters) "catch a bus... yes Jenny and Sara, Corey is taking a B.U.S = BUS back to Fayetteville." Now again this may not seem funny but hearing it in my head makes me crack up. Thank you mom and dad for keeping my roommates and teammates entertained with this story for months and for easing the stress of traveling.

Moral of the story: Do not be lackadaisical at any time, especially while driving and always let others know where you are and what kind of transportation you are taking. I love you mom and dad.

My car is in the shop but I will not be taking the B U S= BUS. Happy Friday.

Love yall!

2 comments:

LZ said...

Awesome for fixing the comment link!

But did you know that I didn't meet you in the airport nor did I ride the B.U.S. Bus back with you. :) Who else could that have been, a Laurie Impostor???

That is ok, I enjoy being part of the story anyway! It makes me feel like even though I wasn't there, you secretly just always want me in your life! :)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!

SEF